Trump Blames “Vandals” for Dead Grass Despite Earlier Federal Finding

0
18
Donald_Trump
Gage Skidmore from Peoria, AZ, United States of America, CC BY-SA 2.0 /Wikimedia Commons

President Donald Trump has made Washington’s monuments and public spaces a visible part of his broader push to reshape the capital. On Sunday, August 17, 2026, he focused that effort on a browned stretch of lawn near the World War II Memorial, saying vandals were responsible for the damage in the same area where a large July 4 event had recently been staged.

Trump points to vandalism at grass near memorial

Trump said in a Truth Social post on Sunday that “vandals” damaged the grass connecting the World War II Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, according to the Associated Press. The post referred to a broad patch of dead and brown turf on the National Mall, near the site where a stage and large crowd area had been installed for his July 4 “Salute to America” celebration.

The Associated Press reported that the damaged lawn Trump highlighted is the same stretch where a large bandstand and seating areas had covered much of the grass during the Independence Day event. AP also reported that photos taken in the days after the event showed workers removing those structures and exposing browned grass underneath. Trump did not provide public evidence on Sunday tying the dead grass to vandalism rather than damage from heavy event use.

The latest comments came after Trump had already made similar assertions about other Washington renovation work. Reuters reported on August 1 that Trump rejected findings from his own Justice Department in a separate case involving the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, saying he disagreed “100%” with U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s conclusion that vandalism was not the cause of that damage.

What is confirmed is that federal authorities announced a vandalism arrest Friday tied to the World War II Memorial itself, where investigators said the words “Clean hands dirty $” were painted on the monument and bubbles were placed in a fountain, according to the Associated Press. AP reported that Pirro said felony charges were being brought against Melissa L. Farris in that case.

What is not confirmed is any connection between that criminal case and the dead grass Trump highlighted Sunday. The Associated Press reported that charging documents in the memorial vandalism case do not mention the grassy area and that authorities previously said the suspect had been arrested for camping on federal property a few blocks away, not in the lawn area Trump cited.

For Washington residents and visitors, that distinction matters because the visible damage spans multiple nearby federal sites but does not appear, based on public records so far, to stem from one documented incident. No federal agency had publicly released, as of Sunday, a separate investigative finding specifically attributing the dead grass near the World War II Memorial to vandalism.

The most concrete federal finding so far involves the Reflecting Pool, not the grass. Reuters reported on August 1 that Pirro and Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Spence asked a judge to drop the government’s case against former Olympian David Hearn after new Interior Department records indicated that peeling in the newly renovated pool liner resulted from a “rushed and flawed installation process” and repeated failures during installation.

According to that filing, summarized by Reuters and other outlets, prosecutors said the damage was tied to work by contractor Atlantic Industrial Coatings and to a rush to finish the project before America 250 events around Independence Day 2026. That marked a significant reversal in a case that had previously centered on allegations of deliberate vandalism.

The broader context is a series of fast-moving capital improvement projects and event preparations around the National Mall this summer. For the public, the practical takeaway is that the World War II Memorial vandalism prosecution is moving forward, while the federal government’s earlier, high-profile Reflecting Pool case was pulled back after prosecutors said the damage came from construction problems rather than sabotage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here